This is my review of Brad Hussey’s Build Websites From Scratch With HTML and CSS course on Udemy. I’m writing this review because it’s a very popular course on Udemy and a topic I know my audience is interested in… so I want to help you decide if it’s the right course for you.
Here’s my review of the course:
The Build Websites From Scratch With HTML and CSS course is meant to be an in-depth treatment of both HTML and CSS covering topics such as:
- Building your first web page
- Inline Styles
- External Styles
- Classes and IDs
- Pixels vs ems
- And a bunch more
A comprehensive list to say the least. With that massive list of topics, the course boasts 77 lessons and 9 hours of content. You also build several HTML and CSS examples, web pages and websites along the way.
The course is taught by Brad Hussey. Brad is a full-time web designer and developer building websites everyday for his clientele so he has a good grasp of what you really need to know to be successful.
Here’s what I like about Brad’s teaching style:
- He speaks clearly and is easy to understand
- He’s entertaining and keeps the lessons fun and engaging
- He’s direct and to the point
- He obviously knows HTML and CSS very well
- He keeps is his lesson short so they’re easy to consume
Here’s some things I wish were better:
- His demos are on a Mac with a Mac code editor. Not a big deal but would’ve been nice to see a PC editor too.
- Some of the more super advanced topics aren’t covered like animations, transformations, iframes, etc.
- He types a bit fast. 🙂
That said, I really am being picky.
Who Is the Course For?
I believe this course is a great fit for developers who fall into the following categories:
- You’re brand new to HTML and CSS and want the fastest learning path
- You’re an intermediate developer who needs a good refresher
- You’re self-taught and looking for clear outline of what you need to learn
- You’re just out of college and feel like you’re missing some of the in-demand skills
Who Is the Course NOT For?
I believe the course won’t be useful to developers in the following categories:
- You’re an advanced developer looking for very advanced topics
- You prefer written tutorials over video tutorials
Pros and Cons of the Course
Here’s a list of the pros:
- It really is complete covering all the essential topics
- Brad is a talented teacher who explains things well
- Brad is entertaining and keeps you engaged throughout the lessons
- The course is laid out intelligently
- The video quality is excellent
- Brad is active in the chat and answers questions
- It has a large student base (39,000+) so you have lots of other developers to learn with
Here’s a list of the cons:
- The use of the Mac editor I mentioned
- Brad types a bit fast
- At $149, the price can be prohibitive for some (I’ve solved this)
How Do You Get the Course?
The Build Websites From Scratch With HTML and CSS course is available on Udemy for a fee of $149. The good news is that I’ve worked out a deal with Brad for my online audience and he’s agreed to offer you a 25% discount on the course.
If you purchase his course through my affiliate link, you’ll get the 25% discount:
Click here for the 25% discount
Full disclosure: I will (at NO cost to you) earn a small commission if you purchase the course through that link. I wouldn’t recommend the course if I didn’t believe it would truly help you. The small commission is just a side benefit.
I believe strongly enough that this course will really help most up and coming web developers that I wanted to offer a special bonus with Brad’s course to help give you every reason to invest in it.
So, if you purchase the course through my affiliate link I will send you my revised Web Developer Learning Guide where I outline the order in which I would learn the various skills necessary for a web developer.
To get the bonus, follow these steps:
1. Purchase the course through my affiliate link 25% off
2. Forward your Udemy invoice to cwdc at johnmorrisonline dot com and I’ll email you the Web Developer Learning Guide PDF.