FYI, I just uploaded a new episode of Let’s Talk Freelance on the Skillshares.
This is a deep dive into building your Upwork profile — covering every little detail from how you write your title, your profile overview, portfolio and everything in between — according to our “evil” strategy from Episode 5 so you… ya know… actually get hired.
Here’s some of what you’ll find inside this episode:
- A sneaky way to write your profile title that can help you rank higher in Upwork’s search and suggestion listings than you might deserve based solely on Rank.
- Three unique and little-known ways to write your profile overview — based on your niche, your experience, your desired clients and your goals. Upwork is too competitive for a templated, cookie-cutter approach. These three methods will give you options so you can tailor your profile overview to your specific situation and get better results.
- An obvious, but often overlooked, way to create a portfolio that you KNOW, without question, will beat your competitors.
- The backwards-sounding way Upwork looks at your hourly rate and why the approach most Upworkers take causes them to rank lower in Upwork’s search and suggestion listings.
- How your profile picture can get you immediately thrown into the “do not click” pile. Here’s a hint: clients on Upwork get slammed with proposals whenever they submit a project. So, they’re looking for any little thing to remove you from consideration — and, if you’re doing this with your profile picture, it’s almost guaranteed they’ll immediately pass over you and not even click on your profile. Thankfully, there’s a simple way to fix it and I’ll show you what it is.
- The simplest way to give yourself a significant advantage over everyone else in your niche that most Upworkers simply refuse to do. It baffles me that more people don’t do this. But, their laziness is your opportunity.
- The three elements of a “click-worthy” profile title — a title that immediately grabs a prospect’s attention and makes it almost impossible for them not to click.
- How to write a profile overview that can get you hired even if you don’t have any job history, reviews, JSS, etc.
- The key factor to creating a portfolio that wows clients. Without it, your portfolio may even hurt you… instead of helping you. Plus, several ways to integrate this factor into the items you include in your portfolio even in the most difficult circumstances.
- A clever way to add emotional depth to your portfolio — and create a portfolio that resonates with the client and makes you stand out from competitors who just phone it in. It’s a smart way to build up the perceived value of each project you include in your portfolio that almost no one in your niche will do — giving you an instant advantage.
- Why the “lowball” approach is just plain dumb and will lead to getting hired less, not more — and why the answer isn’t as simple as “just charge more”. I’ll show you the right way to price your services on Upwork.
- An easy way to create a profile video that increases your chance of getting hired — even if you’re awkward and nervous on camera.
- A clever way to use your profile title to target and attract only the highest-paying, premium clients and chase off everyone else — important as you grow on Upwork and start getting dozens of invites (or more) per day.
- A counterintuitive way to write your profile overview if you’re in a highly competitive niche. The standard approach won’t work because everyone you’re competing against is just as good, if not better. This is a way you can stand out and still get hired.
- Why so many Upworkers get stuck charging lower rates than they want (even as they gain experience and build extensive job histories) — the key mistake they make early on that undermines their ability to charge more and, of course, what to do instead so you’re free to raise your rates as your performance on Upwork warrants it.
- An obvious, but often-missed, place to get a video script that’s already written for you, tailored exactly to you and the services you offer and needs very little tweaking or editing — and is completely free. Put bluntly, it’s the simplest way to get your profile video done without needing to be a master copywriter or wordsmith — and almost no one on Upwork does it.
- A scary, but effective, way to write your profile overview to attract only the highest of high end clients. When you’re ready to go big and only go after the big fish on Upwork, this is how to write your profile overview.
- A clever method, used by real estate agents, to zero in on the perfect rate to charge for your niche. Never again worry if you’re pricing your services properly (on or off Upwork).
- After nearly a decade of teaching Upworkers and reviewing hundreds of profiles, the four most common mistakes I see that’ll get you thrown immediately into the “do no hire” pile.
- Why your profile video doesn’t even need to be a video of YOU and can still help you get hired.
- And more…
I won’t lie… there’s a LOT in this one. But, if you understand just how big an opportunity Upwork is and just want someone to tell you what to do, this is for you.
Anyway, because it’s on Skillshare, you can get it essentially free. That’s because, as a teacher there, I’m able to give you an exclusive 1-month free trial of the platform (normal trial is just 7 days).
With that, you get full access to all 30,000+ courses.
Including this one.
And, if you cancel before the month is up, you never pay a penny. So, do with that what you will, but you can learn more about the course and get the free trial link here: https://johnmorrisonline.com/ltf
And, once you’re in, you’re looking for Episode #6.
P.S. If you’re a patron of mine, you already have access to all six episodes plus all my other courses here: https://myjohn.us/patreon