Here’s some of what you’ll learn in this episode:
- The three-word secret to exploiting Upwork’s algorithm for brand new freelancers. How do you get clients to choose you over other Upworkers who have an extensive Job History, high Job Success Score and extensive ratings and reviews? What do you say? What should you put in your portfolio? How do you compete? These three words are the answer.
- A loophole in Upwork’s algorithm that can resurrect even “dead” Upwork profiles (plus help new and existing Upworkers get even more clients) — if you created a profile, sent out a bunch of proposals, didn’t get a single response and gave up, leaving your profile to sit unused for months (like I did when I first started), this loophole can help you bring it back to life and start getting clients. And, if you’re new, can help avoid that “crickets” situation all together.
- What I learned from two since-deleted blog posts about Upwork’s algorithm that helped me go from a dead profile with zero proposal responses to landing a $2191.78 project within days of changing my profile — and earning over $14,000 from Upwork in just over 3 months.
- A clever way to outflank established Upworkers, who have tons of 5-star ratings and reviews, and get clients to pick you instead — with the side benefit of leveraging a loophole in Upwork’s algorithm that can get your profile shown more than normal to the clients most likely to take a chance on you.
- The three secret tests will use to evaluate your profile — it’s more than “doing a good job and clients happy”. Upwork wants to maximize profit and uses three hidden tests to figure out if your profile can help them make money. Fortunately, there’s a simple way to pass all three and I’ll show you what it is.
- The boost Upwork gives new freelancers to their platform and how to maximize that advantage to jumpstart your Upwork account and start getting clients. A caveat, though… this boost short-lived, so you must take advantage of it in the first few weeks you’re on the platform. If you don’t have a some job history established by then, Upwork will most likely dead your profile and may even boot you off the platform.
- How something as small and innocent-seeming as our timezone can affect how Upwork ranks your profile and how many clients you can get — and a clever way to turn all these little nuances of their algorithm in your favor to possibly rank higher and get more clients.
- Two since-deleted community forum posts, from an Upworker staffer, that reveal a flaw in Upwork’s algorithm that new and existing freelancers can exploit to get ranked higher in Upwork’s Search and Suggestion Engine.