Subscribe to the Podcast
Today’s gonna be a little diddy about a fella named Joe Green.
You don’t know him… which is the point. Joe was a college roommate of the Zuckster. And, I know you all love Facebook and have watched the scene in The Social Network where Zuck and his roommates built FaceMash… which was like a dumbed down version of “Hot or Not”.
Our pal, Joe Green, helped build that.
He also helped with the first iteration of Facebook.
But like a dummy, he decided to stay in school when Mark and his Facebook cronies decided to move to California and build Facebook full-time. Now, Joe-Joe did eventually wise up and nab some Facebook shares (so he did still make few bucks on its IPO) but it’s estimated he lost 400M smackers by not going with the crew to California.
Now, I’m not here to point and laugh (ok, maybe a little)…
Or go total d-bag on his decision.
But, it is a lesson in missed opportunities my padawan. And, I think you are facing a similar kind of decision when it comes to mobile.
I just look at my youngest boys. One is 4 and one is 8.
And complete tech henchmen.
I can’t remember the last time they watched actual TV like we used to “when I was a kid”. It’s been years. YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc… that’s their “TV”. And, it’s all on their phone.
And, they’re complete phone snobs. Face buried in ’em everywhere they go.
Now, can you imagine when those kids are 20, 30, 40 years old?
(Ugh, kids these days…)
But don’t take my word for it. Here’s a bunch of fancy-sounding statistics by some fancy organization that looks into this stuff… that also happen to be true and should be a slap across your coder face:
- Americans now spend more time consuming digital media on their phones (51%) than they do on desktop (42%).
- Nearly two-thirds of Americans own a smartphone and 46% of those owners say their smartphone is “something they couldn’t live without”.
- 87% of millennials always have their smartphone with them and 78% spending over 2 hours a day using their smartphone.
- 84% of 13-17 year olds own a mobile phone and 83% of 6-9 year olds use a tablet.
- 65% of U.S. smartphone users check their phones within 15 minutes of waking up and 64% check them within 15 minutes of going to bed.
We are smartphone crackheads.
And, our kids even moreso. Now, we could do the old man “get off my grass” be-grudging of all this. But, your feels don’t matta. This is happening. You can shake your fist and screen obscenities into the sky all you want… it’s still happening.
And, as a developer, you need to pay attention.
Otherwise, you could end up a big loser like Joe Green…
Or the thousands of others who’ve missed out on the “shoulda hadda V8” trends we’ve seen throughout history.
Now if you’re a tech newshound like yours truly, you’ll know iOS 10 is projected to launch in the fall of this year. And, Apple just released it’s second iOS 10 public beta… which means the release is probably on track for around September.
And, this is Apple’s first major release since making Swift 3 open source.
And, as a developer you’ll be able to do dope things like:
- Create apps to allow users to make or send payments, book a ride or make a reservation directly from iMessage and Maps.
- Get the full experience of VoIP as though it were a regular call, view and answer VoIP calls from your lock screen and start a VoIP call directly from Contacts.
- Connect your apps to Siri’s commands so a user can start a workout, call a friend or search for photos with their voice.
But not if you don’t know Swift.
And, even if you do… you’ll need to get the scoop on this new release.
Now as the constant bearer of good news… I’m here to tell you that two of Udemy’s most popular and beloved instructors, Rob Percival and Mark Price are going to be releasing their new iOS 10 courses within the next few days.
So you can master app-building and not “Joe Green” this mobile revolution thingy.
And, not get left behind as app development becomes bigger and bigger.
So, this is where you want fixate your Jedi mind as those courses go live: http://johnmorrisonline.com/ios10launch
Early birds will get a massive discount on the courses (I’m hearing anywhere from 40-50% off) during the “launch”. So, if you’re smart you’ll watch that page like a hawk so you don’t miss out as the courses go live.
But, the important thing is…
It’s coming. In my opinion, we haven’t seen anything yet. We’re just at the tip of the iceberg of a whole generation of kids who’ve grown up with smartphones. As they get older, the importance of mobile is only going to grow.
And, you need to be prepared to survive and prosper in that world.
P.S. If you liked the show, give it a like and share with the communities and people you think will benefit. And, you can always find all my tutorials, source code and exclusive courses on Patreon.